Skip to content
- ConverStations: Purpose Driven Blogging Worksheet – This Google Form can be a great model for teachers to use with students to help plan, organize, and bring purpose to their blogging. (tags: blogging edublogs googledocs)
- Snow Leopard’s Four Best Improvements (for Civilians) – Snow leopard – Lifehacker Snow Leopard hasn’t changed my workflow a whole lot (yet), but I got a few good tips from this article. (tags: snowleopard)
- TweetMyMac Remote Controls Your Mac via Twitter – Remote Control – Lifehacker I haven’t tried this, but this looks cool: “free application TweetMyMac remote controls your Mac from anywhere you can access Twitter, allowing you to restart and shutdown your computer, take a screenshot, open a torrent, and more.” (tags: twitter mac remotecontrol)
- PHOTO BLOG: Walnut Creek, CA – Photo Blog I just discovered my cousin Stacy’s photoblog. It’s an awesome collection of child lifestyle photos, wedding photos, and even maternity photos. (tags: andlife images photography)
- Google Wave coming to (some) Google Apps users September 30th The title is pretty self explanatory… and exiting. Let me know if this happens to include you and your domain. :) (tags: googlewave googleapps)
- Free to Think Thanks for Jo Mcleay for pointing out that Casper’s blog (or an archive of it) is back up at a new URL. This has been one of my favorite student blog examples for at least two years. :) (tags: blogs, edublogs, studentblogs)
- How Long Must We Sing This Song | conversantlife.com Here's a moving blog post about immigration and health care reform from a high school classmate of mine, Crissy Brooks, who now works in the community where we went to school (and where I used to teach). (tags: costamesa, andlife, immigration, healthcare)
- teachade.com I got an email update from this online community… apparently I joined a long time ago… so have seventeen thousand others. Are any of you using this? (tags: socialnetworks)
- Increase Your Happiness With These Six Scientifically Proven Strategies – Dumb Little Man Guy Kawasaki posted this to twitter earlier this week, and I thought it was worth passing on among my other educational fodder. :) (tags: andlife)
- Google Apps EDU – All of the Above This page is a great place to start if you're interested in implementing Google Apps for Your Domain: Education Edition: "Building a 21st century school now has an easy answer: Google Apps Education Edition." (tags: googleined googleapps)
- animoto – Using video clips in Animoto videos Animoto now includes video clips in their video montages (of still images). Cool. (tags: videos)
- YouTube – PSA Texting while Driving, Gwent, U.K., August 2009, Peter Watkins-Hughes, Newport School, Wales Shortly after I ran across this online I saw Joyce Valenza post it to twitter calling it a "haunting" anti-texting-and-driving video… and she was dead right. I'm still thinking of it often several days later. Please share this with the people you care about… and especially with your students (well, the ones old enough to drive anyway). (tags: psa, mobile, video)
- The Postlearn Educational Job Board | Educational Job Board, Affiliate Program and Email Alert Notifications Joseph Thibault of Global Classroom has launched a new venture… an education job board… powered by bloggers. :) (tags: employment, jobs, education)
How To Connect Google Voice to Skype | LucaFiligheddu.com
I just got my Google Voice invite… and then discovered this very cool tip for receiving my calls on my Mac: "You just need to register to Gizmo5, get a SIP number and tell Google Voice to forward each call to that Gizmo5 account. When ready, go to your Gizmo5 account and configure it to forward each inbound call to your Skype ID."
(tags: googlevoice skype gizmo5)
Welcome! | Teachers Connecting
Haven't tried this, but it looks like a good idea: "A place for K-12 teachers to find other teachers for cross-classroom collaboration."
Social Action Collective – Education means questioning reality in order to transform it
This blog is a companion to the Ning I just bookmarked. Their goal "is to challenge adolescents to explore and investigate their roles, identities, and responsibilities in their communities and in the world.
[They] want to encourage, transform, relate, challenge, and share voices,talent, and creativity."
(tags: socialchange blogs socialmedia)
Social Action Collective
It's only 12 members right now, but this social network is dedicated to "Teachers committed to social justice awareness, critical dialog, and the cultivation of global citizens."
(tags: socialchange socialnetwork)
Free Online PDF Editor – Edit PDF on the Web – PDF Hammer
I haven't tried this out yet, but Alec Couros suggested it as a free web-based alternative to purchasing Adobe Acrobat. Sounds good to me.
TwitVid – Share videos on Twitter
Cool. It's like twitpics – but with video.
Lifestream Backup :: Home
This looks like a promising way to back up all of your content on social media sites, but I haven't got all of it working for me… including Twitter, which is what brought me to it.
Signing Time Classroom Edition
Cool. If you don't already know, Signing Time is Clark's favorite thing in the world – and it has transformed out family and the quality of time we spend with our 17 month old. Now there's a version for Schools: "The Signing Time Classroom Edition is an excellent resource for any school setting – preschool, home school, public school, private school, playgroups, after-school clubs, and church groups. Although the activities are geared for ages 3 – 9 (PreK – 3rd grade), this program is useful for students of all ages. The Classroom Edition is packaged as a two-inch binder containing eight DVDs, two music CDs, and sixteen units of lesson material."
Alright Folks, New MMS Hack! – Aaron Krill
If you REALLY want MMS on your iphone, this looks like a pretty involved process, but you can try it.
Google Apps at Watershed School! ?(Apps)?
Check out this overview of how Google Apps are being used at Watershed School in Colorado. Very cool.
(tags: googleined googleapps)
Home ?(Google Apps Education Community)?
This is a new community site just for Google Apps: Education Edition users, including help forums. :)
(tags: googleined googleapps)
And this is the mother of all mixedink projects… this is the actual forum for contributing o the open government initiative. Very very cool. I would not have predicted this given only the service's features – the applications of it are amazing.
This mixed ink project is facilitated by the AP (Associated Press) and focuses on the question "Should the Senate confirm Judge Sonia Sotomayor?" Very cool. And a cool model for how it might be used with students.
(tags: socialmedia politics)
MixedInk – Free Collaborative Writing Tool
This service turned out to be much cooler than I expected when I got their "check out our service" email back in May. Check out what they're doing for the Sotomayer hearings right now… and see my next two links about their open government initiative.
Online Backup, Data Backup & Remote Backup Solutions from Mozy.com – Welcome
I'm trying this for my off-site backup. There's unlimited storage for $4.95 a month. Good deal. So far setup was easy and the initial backup is working well… but since I'm trying to backup 110 GB, it's only 3% finished after 15 hours! Will this really take 20 days?
Invent an app – NeverEndingSearch – Blog on School Library Journal
Riffing off of a session I led at the edubloggercon, Joyce Valenza put together this cool video. :)
(tags: video tools)
Noticed Anything Different in Flickr Searches? » CogDogBlog
From the CogDog: "But hey I don’t get this. I made (what I think is) this awesome Firefox Greasemonkey script that adds a full cut and paste code (to Flickr images shared with a creative commons licsense) to provide a fully attributed, captioned link in blog posts."
(tags: images copyright)
BookGlutton – About Us
An interesting site someone posted on twitter (sorry, I forget who)… and it looks like it might be good for literature teachers and/or students. From the about page: "Our intent: build an experience that is simultaneously a book group, a computer, and a book. We believe firmly that people want to read, annotate and discuss, right there, immersed in the text."
(tags: books socialmedia languagearts)
Inside Google Books: New ways to search within a book
Google Books Search just got even (more) better. From their blog: "Earlier this month we revamped the search experience to make searching inside a book easier. You can now view the context of a search result, sort results by relevancy or page order, and flip through results quickly while viewing the book."
Schoology – Your digital classroom
"The first course management system built on a social network." 'Nuff said. I can't wait to try it out.
(tags: socialmedia cms socialnetwork distanceed)